The Onion Movie (2008)

DVD Cover (Twentieth Century Fox)
Add to Collection
Sign up to add this to your collection
Add to Favorites
Sign up to add this to your favorites
User Lists:
> Worst Films of 2008
Overall Rating 60%
Overall Rating
Ranked #3,196
...out of 12,407 movies
Check In? Sign up to check in!

Venerable newscaster Norm Archer reports the latest news in politics, health, culture and entertainment - such as an automotive recall of decapitation-inducing "Neckbelts" and a study finding that "depression hits losers hardest". This compilation of bogus news stories, celebrity profiles, movie trailers and skits come courtesy of the ace satirists at The Onion. --TMDb
Review by bluemeanie
Added: July 01, 2008
You're either going to love or hate a film like "The Onion Movie". It was designed to be as crude and offensive as possible, basically using eighty minutes to tear down just about every race and nationality possible. The film is told through filmed news segments, commercials, trailers, music videos and every other type of media imaginable. A lot of the segments are taken from actual news stories from The Onion website, transformed into cinematic shorts. Others are brand new, such as Steven Seagal's brand new action epic, "Cock Puncher", which trailers throughout. We also get pop singer Michael Bolton as the spokesperson for a 'Save the Children' group; a commercial for a company whose sole purpose is to remove male genitalia from slots and holes; and we get the late great Rodney Dangerfield in a brief cameo at the end of the picture.

The story line is non-existent and some of the sketches fall flat, like the one about the young white man who tries to hard to be black that he is arrested as a black man. That one doesn't work. I would say that about 70% of the skits succeed and the other 30% tank miserably. My favorite involved a young man without arms and legs who became a hockey player. "The Onion Movie" is not for everyone, let me repeat.

What is going to appeal to most people is the loose style of comedy found throughout. It's like watching an hour and twenty minute long episode of "Family Guy", or like watching an hour and twenty minute long newscast from their website. Take, for example, a classic Onion bit involving the world's Alzheimer's victims standing up and demanding a cure for pancakes! It made me laugh when I read the print article, and it made me laugh even harder as I watched the old actors looking confused as hell and throwing out words like 'karate'.

"The Onion Movie" is very offensive and very crass and holds no punches. I am a huge fan of the website and the print edition, so I would say if you are also, check it out. Otherwise, you might be shocked at how far it goes. It reminded me of "Amazon Women on the Moon", and it was produced by David Zucker - which says a lot right there. "The Onion Movie" is good enough for a fun little afternoon watch, but it's got a lot of problems, and isn't quite a 'great' flick. It doesn't have a slick enough storyline to stay entertaining throughout, but when those damned Peruvians showed up at the end, I was on the floor with jerks of laughter.

Tristan #1: Tristan - added 08/30/2008, 11:27 AM

Chad #2: Chad - added 03/01/2009, 10:00 PM
No fail. I got some great laughs out of it, and "me [definitely] rikey."
Mojokc #3: Mojokc - added 03/02/2009, 01:45 PM
Good movie. Lots of laughs and fun to be found here. A little slow nearing the end but the wrap up was nice how they tied it all together. 8.5/10
Sign up to add your comment. Sign up to add your comment.
Recommended Movies
Hot Shots! Part Deux Hot Shots! Scary Movie Superhero Movie Scary Movie 2 Club Dread Scary Movie 4 Epic Movie Super Troopers Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me Austin Powers In Goldmember Scary Movie 3 The Naked Monster A Haunted House Meet The Spartans UHF National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1 Airplane II: The Sequel
Layout, reviews and code © 2000-2023 | Privacy Policy
Contact: Join us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Review Updates